Sivananda Bahamas Blog
Expand Your Horizons …
Inspiration and ideas on yoga philosophy, practice, and lifestyle. Enjoy, tell others, and return often.
Social Media Connections
A Good Day for Peace
February 18, 2014
The conclusion of our February Yoga for Peace symposium on February 11 coincided with a flurry of diplomacy around the world. One of the presenters, Joshua Goldstein, an interdisciplinary scholar on war and peace, wrote to us point out the headline: ‘Big Day for International Diplomacy Around the World.’ He noted these unexpected developments:
- China and Taiwan began the highest-level talks in 65 years.
- Turkey and Greece began talks about the long-festering Cyprus conflict.
- North and South Korea began their highest-level talks in 7 years, and an American diplomat arrived in North Korea.
- New negotiations started for Syria and they unexpectedly extended the cease-fire in Homs for 3 more days.
- The European Union and Cuba opened talks to work toward mutual recognition after decades.
- The warring parties in South Sudan met in Ethiopia to try for a more durable cease-fire.
- Nepal elected a prime minister after years of political gridlock that followed the civil war there.
He ended with, “Trending: Peace! It’s sweet that this surprise upsurge in diplomacy corresponded with the conclusion of the Yoga for Peace symposium in the Bahamas that I had the chance to participate in.”