Learn Sonia Sumar's innovative style of Yoga designed specifically for babies and children with Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, microcephaly, autism, ADD (attention deficit disorder) and other developmental and learning disabilities. Sonia will teach the practical techniques of Yoga for the Special Child, and will give lectures on working with children with special needs.
Topics of this course include:
- Yoga as a restorative lifestyle for special children
- How Yoga helps to stimulate physical coordination, mental clarity and social development in special children
- The parents' role as guide and inspiration for the child
- Conducting interviews and telephone counseling
- The use of touch, facial gestures, hand signals and voice to achieve bonding and integration with the student
- The theory of early intervention, the four stages of development and presentation of the methods and techniques of Yoga taught in each of the stages
- Techniques and methods for teaching group classes of children and adolescents
- Evaluating the child and setting up a Yoga routine
- Individual instruction versus group classes: how to know when a child is ready to advance
- The value of mainstreaming the special child in a group Yoga class
This course is open to all Yoga practitioners, to certified Yoga instructors from all traditions and to professionals working with children with special needs (school teachers, sports instructors, pediatric practitioners and others) who have an established Yoga practice.
Participants are asked to bring a 2 feet rag doll for practice purposes.