This experiential workshop is open to all with yoga experience and is Part A of a 3-part certification course to become a LifeForce Yoga Practitioner.
Learn an empowering, evidence-based yoga protocol for self-care and to help students and clients focus, relax, and have greater access to feeling states. You will experience all aspects of LifeForce Yoga, including pranayama, kriya, asana, Nada Yoga (sound), bhavana (visual imagery) sankalpa (intention/affirmation), meditation, and non-dual self-inquiry. There will also be opportunities for practicing with one another and receiving feedback from the faculty. For those who are already LifeForce Yoga Practitioners, this can be taken as a refresher course/retreat. Yoga teachers and mental-health professionals and general practitioners will learn strategies appropriate for a clinical setting that can safely release chronically held physical tension and repressed emotion.
Students of this course will:
- Design one-on-one yoga sessions for dysthymia (chronic depression), anxiety-based depression, PTSD, and bipolar disorder
- Learn breathing and meditation practices for addressing dysthymia and anxiety-based depression
- Learn how to add somatic strategies to clinical practice and yoga classes to increase clients' self-awareness, self-acceptance, self-esteem, and ability to cope
- Experience techniques you can teach your clients and students to do at home
- Practice asanas (postures), pranayama and kriyas (breathing and cleansing), mantra (chanting), bhavana (development of the mind), sankalpa (resolve and intention), mudra (hand gestures), meditation, therapeutic long holding of postures and non-dual strategies for working with negative self-talk
- Take home tools and confidence for working with individuals suffering from depression and anxiety
Required Reading: Yoga for Depression by Amy Weintraub (Broadway Books). Recommended: Yoga Skills for Therapists (W.W. Norton); Practice with LifeForce Yoga DVDs & CDs.
Note: If you are taking this course towards your LifeForce Yoga Practitioner Certification, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Amy Weintraub will be assisted by Rose Kress, RYT-500, a LifeForce Yoga Educator and Mentor and a Functional Yoga Therapist; and Kathy Shafer, Ph.D., LCSW, E-500RYT, a psychotherapist, educator and LifeForce Yoga Practitioner, nationally known for her work in addictions.