10 Amazing Things About Living at the Ashram
The Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat welcomes students, yoga vacationers, spiritual aspirants, distinguished presenters from around the world — and Karma Yogis for the Residential Study Program.
Karma Yogis enroll for at least one to three months of intensive yoga immersion, including selfless service, meditation, pranayama, asana, study, and reflection. Though everyone in the Karma Yoga program will have their ups and downs, it is a program of deep transformation that creates many invitations to practice selflessness. Over time, we let go of our attachment to things being a certain way, usually our way, and we drop into a deeper motivation for contributing our actions and our hearts to a greater good.
Written by a longtime karma yogi, here are some of the best parts of living at the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas and practicing selfless service, one of the most important yogic paths.
- We live in a sacred, spiritual sanctuary that has been cultivated with love and purity for 50 years.
- We live among some of the kindest, wisest, most advanced yogis in the world.
- We serve and we are also served. As a community, we clean, cook, and teach for each other, performing all duties and functions of the ashram.
- We live close to nature and benefit from the strong healing energy of Paradise Island.
- We are reminded and woken up every morning to meditate.
- Yoga class is only a few steps away.
- We receive spiritual guidance on a regular basis.
- We practice selfless service and learn how to give from the heart without attachment to the fruits of our work.
- Every evening we meditate, chant, and listen to renowned presenters about the many facets and branches of spirituality.
- We feel more free every day by finding balance in discipline, healing, spiritual progress, and love for others.
Curious? Find out more about the Karma Yoga program.